Keeping Your Home Safe in the Summer
Each day in America 55 people die and another 58,000 are injured in accidents that occur in the home. They CAN be prevented through these tips:
- Install grab bars in the bathtubs and showers.
- Use non slip rugs around the house.
- Make sure hallways and stairs are well-lighted and have adequate handrails.
- Check the batteries in your smoke alarms monthly. If your alarms are more than ten years old, replace them.
- Make sure to dust your smoke alarm regularly to ensure it works properly.
- Be careful when using candles. When you go out of the room, extinguish it.
- Things that can fit through a toilet paper roll can cause small children to choke. Keep small items out of children’s reach.
- Check toys with small parts and make sure they are age appropriate.
- Tie up all loose cords on window curtains and blinds to prevent children from getting tangled in them.
- If you have a pool, install a gate and keep it locked at all times.
- Never leave a child alone around water. This includes pools, bathtubs and even buckets with water.
- Empty large buckets and wading pools after use.
For more information on this or any other safety topic, pick up your copy of “Ace Your Life – Life Management Skills Made Easy” today!