Holidays and Safety: A Must Read

Michele SfakianosUncategorizedLeave a Comment

It’s a busy holiday season. With visiting guests, cooking big meals, and the cold weather, there is a potential hazard (or hazards) lurking in your home. Beware!

Avoid these hidden dangers:

1) Aluminum wiring: Homes built with aluminum wiring are 55 times more likely than those with copper wiring to go up in smoke, and the odds of a fire increase every year. If your home was built before 1972, have an electrician check out the wiring.

2) Don’t plug small appliances into an extension cord. This can overload the circuit and cause a fire.

3) Lint in your dryer: Leaving lint in your dryer’s lint trap-or worse, inside the guts of your   dryer – can lead to a fire. Clean the lint trap every use, and make sure that the fluffy stuff hasn’t accumulated anywhere else in your machine.

4) Paper towels: This common item causes a surprising number of kitchen fires. Use recycled towels? Minute metal flecks can ignite if you put them in the microwave. Keep the recycled towels far from ovens and toasters, and don’t use them in the microwave.

5) Humidifier: These are great for dry skin and cracked lips, but dirty reservoirs and filters breed mold and bacteria, putting you at risk from contaminated mist or stream. Change the water daily and clean the tank often, drying it thoroughly when not in use.

6) Fireplaces and chimneys: Creosote-caked chimneys can cause explosive fires or let carbon monoxide seep into your home. Hire a chimney sweep and make sure you have a screen in front of your logs to keep embers inside the fireplace, where they belong.

For other dangers to look for in the home, order your copy of Ace Your Life – Life Management Skills Made Easy – today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *