Statistics tell us that 50% of couple divorce each year and 65% remarry. Of that 65% that remarry – 40% bring children into the new marriage. This is for all of the dad’s out there that are no longer living with their children. These are very important tips:
- Make sure to have regular scheduled visits with your child or children. Do not cancel on them unless it is an absolute emergency. If you do cancel, reschedule immediately through your ex-partner. Children need to know that they can count on you.
- Do not fight or argue with your ex-partner in front of the children.
- Do not try and “buy” the children when they visit. Spend quality time with them instead.
- Do not give your children messages to give to your ex-partner. They are not messengers and do not need to get in the middle of conversations.
- Reassure your children that although you don’t live with them, it doesn’t mean that you don’t love them any less. Encourage open communication to see how they feel about every situation. Do not question them about what happens at their other home.
Being apart from children is hard on everyone, so make sure to tell your children you love them everyday. Incorporate apps like Skype, texting, email, or other types of communication to keep in touch. Set up a time every week to call them and stick to it. They will love it!
Happy Father’s Day!