Most of my life has been spent trying to please and take care of others. I never realized that if I did not take good care of myself, I would not be able to take care of my family. Taking time out to do something for yourself does not make you a selfish person, regardless of what others say. You have to have peace of mind in order to concentrate on the tasks at hand. If you are overwhelmed and do not take a time out, your work and family life could suffer. You do not have to spend a lot of money to have time to yourself. Reading a magazine on the patio away from everyone works well. Go for a walk. Take a bubble bath. Just make sure to allow the same courtesy to your partner. He/she needs time too!
Me, Myself, and I:
- Although it is very important to devote time to your relationship, time for yourself is just as important.
- Take care of yourself first and everything else will fall into place. If you are not well, you cannot take care of others.
- The old saying “if mom is not happy, no one is happy” is pretty much true! So take time for you.
- Be true to yourself.
- Love yourself. Love yourself. Love yourself.
- Be yourself no matter where you are.
- Be confident in everything you do.
- There is no shame in getting professional help if you feel overwhelmed or depressed.
- Your car, home, and job do not define you. You define you.
- Do not sweat the small stuff.
- It is all small stuff.
- Enroll in a yoga class or an exercise class.
- Get a manicure, pedicure, or massage when time and your budget permits.
- Get together with a friend and give each other a manicure or pedicure.
- Do not sit and drink alcohol alone.
- Get your yearly medical exams and blood work done.
- For women: do self breast exams once a month. Ask your doctor to show you how.
- For males: do testicular exams once a month. Ask your doctor to show you how.
- When you get stressed out, ask yourself if it will matter in five years. If the answer is no, let it go. If it is yes, find a solution.
For more information on this and other self-help topics, get your copy of Ace Your Life today!