Do you know the benefits of mentorship? To be successful you must be willing to take risks. One of the risks that can generate the greatest fear is the word no. There are other reasons that people are afraid to ask others for help, such as looking foolish, stupid, or too needy. No one wants to feel rejected and the word no is the biggest rejection of all.
Many successful individuals have asked other people for help at some time in their career. They didn’t consider asking as a sign of weakness, neither should you. Asking is a sign that you want to grow. It shows that you will do what it takes for your own success. If you don’t ask questions to get what you want, aren’t you already telling yourself “no” in advance?
- You need to determine why you are stuck and what your struggles are. Identify your pain points.
- Make a list of exactly what you need help with. Do you need assistance with marketing, coaching on personal objectives?
- You will want to think about people close to you that you could ask for help. This could be your colleagues, family members or friends. Have they offered you help in the past?
- Match people with tasks based on their interests, strengths, time needed and your comfort level with them.
- You should then determine how you would ask for help.
- Make the decision to ask.
There are three types of mentors:
- Someone who is in front of you who will show you how they did it.
- Books. You can outsource 50 percent of mentorship to books and other materials. However, 150-500 books equal one good mentor. If you have time to read, it’s a great help. People ask me, “What is a good book to read?” The types of books would be: inspirational, self-help, personal growth and leadership. Whatever your beliefs, underline them through reading every day.
- Everything is a mentor.If you are at zero, and have passion for reinvention, then everything you look at will be a metaphor for what you want to do. The tree you see, with roots you don’t, with underground water that feeds it, is a metaphor for personal growth if you connect the dots. And everything you look at, you will connect the dots.
Looking for a mentor, coach or Life Transformation Specialist? Contact me today.