The Holidays are here and cooking for large families and holiday parties is in full swing. Keep these tips handy to help save you time and money:
- Don’t let the water flow when washing dishes. If you have a double sink, fill one side with soapy water to rinse or wash dishes.
- Run the dishwasher only when full.
- For drinking water from the tap, fill a pitcher and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Avoid using running hot water from the tap to defrost frozen foods. Use a microwave or defrost food in the refrigerator overnight.
- Put food scraps into a compost pile instead of putting them down the garbage disposal, reducing energy and water needs.
- Never pour oil and grease down the drain or garbage disposal. Scrape meat, butter, sauces, lard, dressings and dairy products into a trash bin.
- Recycle used cooking oil. Place into a container, such as a coffee tin, with a tight-fitting lid, and take to your nearest household chemical waste collection facility.
Enjoy your holidays!